Getting a car subwoofer is the best way to enhance and improve the quality of your car’s sound system.
Car subwoofers, especially good, durable ones do not come cheap and hence, you need to be extra vigilant when picking your sub. Choosing the wrong one can be frustrating as well as costly.
So how do you go about making the right choice when faced with the numerous choices out there? Most importantly how do you choose a great sub to suit your budget?
All these questions can make the task of picking the correct sub to seem like a rather up-hill task, one you would rather avoid all together.
In this article, I will look at some of the best performing subwoofers you can buy without breaking the bank.
1 . JBL GT-BassPro12
Top on the list is the JBL GT-BassPro12 which is my favorite among the 10 subs I’ve discussed below. Here is why.
- Fabulous, eye-catching rugged look.
- Large 12” cone for deeper bass.
- 12-inch die-cast aluminum basket for a solid performance.
- Slipstream port for distortion-free bass at high-level outputs.
- Auto signaling technology which turns the woofer on/off, automatically.
- Numerous customizing options at the back to allow you to get your preferred sound.
- A remote controller for seamless operation.
If the fantastic, innovative features of the JBL GT-BassPro12 aren’t enough to convince you that you should get it, here are some pros for you.
- it is easy to install
- has a remote for easy operation
- features a rough elegant construction
- it performs wonderfully,
- is considerably priced, and
- it is durably made.
Though full of great, innovative features, the JBL GT-BassPro12 is not without a few drawbacks, including;
- the amplifier is not as powerful as that of other such subs,
- it is quite bulky, and
- it is more expensive than other subs with similar qualities
The all-in-one JBL GT-BassPro 12 is a great combination of great aesthetics as well as great performance, not to mention its sturdy construction.
Sure you can find a sub with pretty similar features for a little less, but if you aren’t one to be deterred by a mere price tag, then get this subwoofer. You will not regret it.
2. MTX Audio TNP212D2 Terminator
MTX has been kicking ass in the world of making car audio systems for years now, making it a trusted brand name. That’s one reason why the MTX TNP212D subwoofer should be top on your list of subs to get if you are looking for a sub that performs well at a reasonable price.
Other reasons lie in its handy features and impressive capabilities.
- This subwoofer has a solid, sealed dual 12 inch enclosure made of 5/8 MDF covered with a rugged, black carpet which is bound to go well with the interior of your car
- high quality speakers,
- 1200watts max power,
- powerful amplifier,
- variable low and high-pass filters with frequency ranges of 40Hz–400Hz for great sound
The TNP212D2 has many endearing qualities including;
- it has a strong and sturdy construction,
- it has an appealing and eye-catching rugged design,
- it has a powerful amp,
- it produces clear, deep bass, and
- it is affordably priced
I noticed that some of the low frequencies on this baby do not respond as well as expected.
The MTX TNP212D Terminator Power Pack Subwoofer has great looks, performs quite well and is pretty reasonably priced, making it a buy worth considering.
3. Boss CH10DVC
Boss is another household name when it comes to making quality car audio systems and the CH10DVC 10-inch is no different from all their other marvelous creations.
This baby consists of a powered dual voice 10’’ subwoofer with all that you would typically require to get the sub set up.
- a powered dual voice 10’’ subwoofer with all that you would typically require to get the sub set up,
- solid enclosure with 5/8″ particle board construction, a dual chamber design, charcoal carpet covering, and 1.4 cubic feet of air space per chamber (2.8 cubic feet total).
- peak power of 1500 watts and 750 watts RMS for each for quality bass,
- durable, polypropylene cone for great quality sound,
- butyl rubber surround,
- dual voice coils, and
- 4 Ohm impedance,
The Boss CH10DVC;
- is durably made,
- has great power handling abilities,
- produces great quality bass,
- is friendly priced
Can be easily damaged if the RMS is exceeded
If you are looking for a sub that is powerful, sounds great and is easy to set up for a competitive price, then the Boss CH10DVC is a solid choice.
4. Belva BPKG212v2
When you buy the Belva BPKG212v2, you get an all-in-one package including an amplifier, wires, speakers and everything else you may require to get a powerful, earth-shaking sound from your car’s sound system.
- 2 12’’ subwoofers,
- a ported enclosure, ideal for a big and open sound,
- a strong amp with power handling capabilities of up to 1200watts peak power,
- true gauge wiring
- remote for adjusting the bass and volume levels,
- impendence levels of 4 ohm,
- a SVC polypropylene cone with durable rubber surround,
- 1.5’’ black aluminum voice coil,
- is durably made,
- is easy to set up,
- has easy-to-use amp controls
- produces clear, loud bass,
- is well priced
The amp tends to overheat after prolonged usage and is prone to early wearing out.
If you are into really heavy, clear bass in your car then this subwoofer should work great for you.
5. Pyramid BNPS102
The speakers on the Pyramid BNPS102 are made using high quality materials ensuring they last you a long, long time. They also perform beautifully, adding loud, clear bass to the sound of your car’s audio system.
- Durable rubber material for effective performance even in extremely high temperatures.
- Power levels of up to 1,000 watts
- Two 10-inch powerful subwoofers and one 2-inch aluminum voice coil that help in producing splendid music.
- Several in-built amplifiers and crossovers for producing the optimum sound of high responsiveness.
- Four tuned ports for delivering effective sound with deep bass.
- Neon accent lighting to add aesthetic value.
- Frequencies of 30Hz to 1 KHz.
- Low impedance of about 5 to 8 ohms to match with different amplifiers and sound drivers.
- A drop-in system for a better bass level.
These babies are;
- Durably made,
- Easy on the eyes,
- Have great performance
The Pyramid BNPS102 speakers are rather pricey because of the numerous components used to make them.
- Installation requires time and skill.
- They are too big for most vehicles.
The Pyramid BNPS102 speakers have great performance and so durably made. They are however rather really huge, making them ideal only for big cars.
6. MTX Magnum MB210SP
The MTX Magnum subwoofer is a set of two powerful 10-inch speakers and an amplifier in a solid enclosure. This is great as it makes installation easy breezy.
- a pre-made and pre-tuned enclosure holding two 10-inch speakers and an amplifier
- lightweight polypropylene dust caps,
- rubber surrounds which give the speakers a fuller sound,
- 400w RMS power with 800w peak and 1200w max,
- frequency levels of as low as 20 Hz
- a 3-way protection circuitry
- The amplifier for this sub is in-built into the enclosure, eliminating the need for you to buy it separately,
- this sub is an all-in-one package with the enclosure, two subs, and amplifier,
- produces deep, clear bass,
- has dedicated heat sinks in the enclosure to prevent overheating
This subwoofer is pricier than other models with the same capabilities
If you do not want to deal with the process of installing a speaker in an enclosure, and money is no obstacle, then the MTX Magnum MB210SP is your best bet.
7. DS18 BPX210A
The DS18 BPX210A is a 1200-watt bass package that has been designed with your listening pleasure in mind.
It is engineered utilizing modern day technologies to ensure outstanding performance as well as great quality and clear sound.
- 2 subwoofers
- 1 subwoofer Enclosure
- 1 amplifier
- 2 color-coded nickel-plated ring terminals
- 1 nickel-plated mini-ANL fuse holder with 40A Fuse
- a 17′ red 8 gauge power cable
- a 17′ 2-channel twisted pair RCA cable
- a 17′ gray 18 gauge remote wire
- 5 nickel-plated spade terminals
- 18 gauge butt connector
- 10 black zip cable ties
- a 10′ speaker cable
- 8 gauge grommet
- is an all-in-one package,
- comfortably fits into vehicles of all sizes,
- made using the latest technology for great performance,
- is powerful,
- produces clear, loud bass,
- is built to last, and
- is well priced
- comes with a short 1-year warranty
If you are looking for an affordable all in one solution which blends decent sound and power and can fit into vehicles of all sizes, then the DS18 BPX210A is perfect for you.
8. Boss P126DVC
The Boss P126DVC is innovatively designed for deep bass and durably made, featuring a solid 5/8″ particle board construction, a dual chamber design and charcoal carpet covering.
- 2300 Watt max (4600 Watt pair)
- 1150 Watt RMS (2300 Watt pair)
- dual 4 Ohm Voice Coils
- Poly Injected Cone
- competition Style Binding Posts
- an impedance of 4 Ohm
- an efficient of 84 dB
- Frequency Response of 25Hz-2 kHz
- Mounting Depth: 6-3/4″
- are durably and attractively made,
- are powerful,
- produce loud, clear bass,
- are affordable,
- come with a 2-year warranty
The Boss P126DVC 12″ 4600W Car Power Subwoofers + Dual Sealed Sub Box Enclosure may be too bulky for smaller cars.
Looking to convert your vehicle into a sound animal? These 12″ dual sealed car audio subwoofers box is the way to go. It is both powerful and affordable.
9. Skar Audio IX12D2-2X12
Skar Audio is at it again, this time putting together the IX12D4-2X12 subwoofer enclosure package to make the process of adding bass to your car’s sound system as seamless as can be.
They have everything in place so you do not worry yourself with all the nitty gritty details of getting your sub to your sound system.
- X Series 12-Inch Dual 2-ohm Loaded Subwoofer Bass Package
- Subwoofers Come Pre-wired and Loaded in Enclosure
- Premium vented enclosure made of 5/8″ MDF
- Ported design for maximum bass
- Peak Power of 1000 Watts (Pair)
- Wired to 2 Ohm Final Load for Amplifier
- has powerful sound production
- Produces deep and punchy bass
- remains cool at all times
- has high power handling capability
- has strong voice coil withstands extreme performance conditions
May be too loud for you if you are not an audiophile
The Skar audio IX12D4-2X12 subwoofer enclosure is the perfect solution for you if you are looking to get really deep and loud bass in your car without first having to go through the tedious process of wiring and pairing your sub to your amp. This baby will last you a long time to come and it won’t have you breaking the bank to purchase it.
10. Rockford Fosgate P300-10 Punch
When talking about giant manufacturers in the car audio system market, Rockford is a name you will hear quite often.
The Rockford Fosgate P300 comes in a hard casing to ensure it remains protected against any bumps and/or scrapes and is undoubtedly one of the more powerful models you will across in the market today with 300 watts RMS.
I especially loved that it has a closed loop design to provide the best possible performance between the amplifier, the subwoofer, and the enclosure.
- frequency Response of 35Hz to 150Hz
- a 5/8-Inch MDF construction
- 11 AWG input terminals
- crossover Controls: Variable 50Hz to 200Hz @ 12dB/Octave Butterworth
- thermal and over voltage protection
- has thermal and over voltage protection to prevent damage
- is durable
- has intelligent On/Off feature that will start or stop the unit when you play/pause/stop your music
- it is well-priced
The Rockford P300 is rather thick and bulky, which might be a problem when you try to fit it under the front seats of your vehicle, especially if you drive any other type of car apart from a truck.
The Rockford P300 is a reliable subwoofer that is powerful enough to rattle your car’s windows and is durably made. It is however more suitable for you if you own a truck because of its bulkiness.
There you go! See? You don’t necessarily have to rob a bank to get quality music in your car, although some of the choices require you to dig a little deeper into your pockets than others.
With the above choices, I am confident that you will find a great sounding car subwoofer to suit your needs while at the same time matching your pocket.