Looking for the best home theater subwoofer to upgrade your home movie watching experience? To give your TV room the feel and sounds of a IMAX theater? A high performance home theater subwoofer is just what you need.
But with so many different subwoofers out there in the market, how do you know which is the best home theater subwoofer for you? More and more brands are creating their home theater subwoofers each one claiming to be better than the previous one. How do you decide which one will work for you? What size to get? It would be easy to say the most affordable and loudest one.
However, picking the best home theater subwoofer that meets your needs requires more thought. In this article, I hope to make the task of choosing the best home theater subwoofer easier, whether you have a dedicated theater room or are simply looking to raise the standards of your regular living room.
Subwoofers allow your speakers to be at their ultimate best without draining the life out of your amplifiers. Some of the best home theater subwoofer brands today are powered with powerful classAB amplifiers. This makes it possible for them to reproduce powerful bass from around 140 Hertz to subsonic levels of below 20 Hertz.
Best Home Theater Subwoofer Categories
Subwoofers are categorized into two: passive and active.
Passive subwoofers: lack internal amplification., meaning that in addition to one channel of amplification, they also require an external cross over component unlike in the case of active subwoofers.
Active subwoofers: come with room correction software and a calibration mic which can easily optimize the settings and the placement of a Subwoofer in a home theater system all with the flip of a switch.
Lets review some of the best home theater subwoofers in the market today.
Best Home Theater Subwoofer Reviews
Polk Audio PSW505 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer Review
The Polk Audio PSW505 subwoofer comes with 1 -12″ diameter, high polymer composite cone with hi-roll surround, shielded driver unit. It has power output of between 300watts to 460 watts. Its frequency response is between watts23 Hz-160 Hz.
The Polk Audio PSW505 is made of real wood veneer finish. It has slot load venting which improves the bass response. The wide long slot load vent greatly reduces turbulence, noise and distortion as it pours out a tidal wave of thunderous and precise bass.
This subwoofer is solidly built enabling it to suppress enclosure panel resonance to give a precise distortion free response. It has an adjustable low pass crossover, phase switch and volume control to allow for ideal blending with any main speaker. This sub also has Hi-Roll Surrounds that support a true throw driver.
Polk subs are precise, accurate and tight to enhance your music listening experience. These subs have high current of up to 300 watts continuous, 460 watts Dynamic power amp.
The Polk Audio PSW505 comes with an auto on/off circuit that automatically turns your subwoofer on when it senses a program signal. It turns off after 15 minutes if no signal is detected.The unfiltered LFE allows use with low pass filtered subwoofer jacks.
This sub has Pro-grade 5-way binding posts speaker input and output jacks. It is magnetically shielded for safe, flexible placement next to a TV or video monitor.
The polk audio PSW505 12 inch powered subwoofer also:
- is very fairly priced
- produces great sound
- is very heavy and sturdy
- comes with easy to follow instructions.
The black wood matches with lots of other speakers. Produces very deep, clear loud bass. Don’t get it if you live in a townhouse or dorm. Get this sub and your home theater will sound like an IMAX theater! Click here to see price on Amazon.com
Bic America F12-Inch 475-Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer Review
The Bic America F12-Inch Sub is a powered subwoofer with 12-inch injection molded long throw woofer.
- Its patented BIC venturi vent eliminates port noise.
- It has adjustable crossover and volume control as well as automatic signal sensing.
- It has inputs for Dolby lby pro logic as well as Dolby Digital /DTS. Digital.
- It has magnetic shielding.
- Has built in amplifier powered 475 watts dynamic peak and 150 watts RMS continuous.
This sub is affordable. You will not find many subs that will hit the lows this sub can.
Comes with plenty of connection options so you don’t have to worry about compatibility issues.
It isn’t boomy and has an excellent low frequency extension. When paired with the right speakers and set up correctly, this sub is outstanding! It is perfect for games, music and movies.
I have tested it and I can tell you that it is hands down the most powerful 12″ subwoofer you can get if you are working with a budget of not more than $200. Click here to see price on Amazon.com
YAMAHA YST-SWO12 8″ 100 Watt Review
The Yamaha YST -SWO12 subwoofer will let you experience thunderous booming bass in your home.
- This sub has a high performance front-firing active design.
- It has the capability of handling 100watts of dynamic power ensuring that you hear all the bass sounds even the very loudest short bursts with amazing clarity.
- It is powerful and provides detailed and accurate reproduction in a compact unit.
- It has a linear port that gives a smooth bass response during playback and minimizes extraneous noise.
- Its cone driver is impressively large for this particular class of subwoofer.
- It is also magnetically shielded meaning that you get to place it it near your tv or any other monitor without any interference caused by distortion.
- It has an built in amplifier which provides detailed100 watts dynamic power for crushing volume with minimal distortion.
- Has volume control that allows you to match the subwoofer’s output to the rest of your sound system.
- It is compact, attractive and gives a good thump!
- Has adjustable volume so you can match the subwoofer to your amplifier.
- Comes with a long power cord and an even longer subwoofer audio cable; single RCA’s on both ends.
- It is very pocket friendly!
- It doesn’t have a crossover frequency adjustment. This means you have to have a pre-amp or receiver that has the adjustment because you won’t be able to control this at the subwoofer.
- It lacks a phase adjustment which is vital for some installations for the subwoofer to integrate properly.
- It also does not take high speaker level inputs. This means that your pre-amp or receiver has to have a subwoofer, LFE or pre-amp output to connect to the subwoofer.
Pioneer SW-8MK2 Andrew Jones Review
Are you looking to add that thunderous bass to your home theater experience? The Pioneer SW-8MK2 is the ideal subwoofer for you! This subwoofer was created by world renowned speaker engineer Andrew Jones. It offers extraordinary performance as well as remarkable quality to deliver a phenomenal music and home theater experience.
It is affordable and the only sub in its price category that will give you more appreciation for quality bass. Just press play on your favorite movie, sit back and allow the sub’s 100 watts amplifier give your movie that earth shaking detail!
This sub has a vented enclosure which allows for extended well rounded bass. Its phase adjustment and crossover adjustment controls allow you to fine tune the sound just right for your room.
Listening to music or watching movies? In a big room or a small one? Alone or with family? This sub delivers the low end that will get everyone’s attention.
- It has maximum input power of 100 watts, 50W FTC power output.
- It also has 8″ drivers.
- A vented enclosure for extended bass.
- It has phase adjustment and crossover adjustment.
- It has a frequency range of 38 Hz-150 Hz
I have tried this sub and I gotta tell you, for such small speakers, the bass they produce is amazing! And for that ridiculously low price, I am more than impressed!
- The pioneer SW-8MK2 subwoofer is superbly built for its price range and looks way more expensive than it really is.
- The stock SW-8MK2 gives an amazing sonic performance in the areas of increasing soundstage,dimensions, image density, and extension of lower frequencies.
- Its controls allow for easy hook-up and dial-in for seamless integration with your system.
- It only comes in one color, matte black ash finish which may not match the wood grain of your main speakers.
This is my conclusion ; the pioneer SW-8MK2 gives remarkable performance for its inexpensive price and competes with way more expensive units! It has perfect bass extension and tonality. It is a perfect blend of great performance and a great bargain! Click here to see price on Amazon.com
SONOS SUB Wireless Subwoofer Review
Looking for that deep, room filling bass? The SONOS system is what you need! This sub connects wirelessly to Sonos speakers. It uses your WiFi, is easy to set up and to expand your system over time.
The SONOS Sub has two force-cancelling speaker drivers that are positioned face to face. These offer deep sound with absolutely no cabinet buzz or rattle. You can place it absolutely anywhere in your room, horizontally, vertically or even flat under a sofa.
It works with all sonos amplified components I.e CONNECT: AMP, PLAY:5, PLAY:3, PLAY:1 and PLAY BAR. This sub fills up an entire room with thick layers of deep, bottomless sound that allows you to hear and feel every chord, every splash, kick and roll.
It requires neither wiring, nor programming. All you have to do is press one button, follow the simple prompts on your controller and the sub will automatically adjust audio settings to balance your sub and paired sonos component perfectly to give you optimal whole room listening experience.
It allows you to get over a 100,000 radio stations, podcasts and show all for free!
Sonos also works well with the most popular online music services like Apple Music, Pandora, Deezer, Googleplay Music, Amazon Music, iHeartRadio and downloads from any service offering DRM-free tracks.
This sub also enables you to enjoy computer-free music playback. It directly connects to music services over the internet to give you instant access to countless songs and radio stations without downloading or even turning on a computer. it then streams the music to whichever rooms you want.
In case you have multiple music players, you can control what plays in any room of your house.
Because Sonos controllers aren’t tied to a particular player, you get to use any controllers to control the music and volume in all your rooms. You can either play different songs in the different rooms of your house or play the same song in every room in perfect harmony.
It is easy to set up and zero technical and wireless expertise is required. Because it is so small, this sub is easy to move around. To the deck, backyard or any other room. You just pick it up, plug and enjoy the music. Once registered, the Sonos must system will automatically notify you when software updates are available. At the touch of one button, the system updates itself. Click here to see price on Amazon.com
Conclusion and Recommendation on the Best Home Theater Subwoofer
Purchasing a home theater subwoofer is exciting! It can however be rather confusing to know which is the best home theater subwoofer given the numerous products available in the market today. Each one claiming to be the ideal one for you. It is clear that getting the wrong home theater subwoofer can prove costly and frustrating. Being the big lover of subwoofers that I am, I have tried each one of the above products. They all have their various attributes and strong selling points, pros and cons. However, after testing each of the above products, I highly endorse the Polk Audio PSW505 12″-Inch Powered Subwoofer as the best home theater subwoofer. It is inexpensive, has decent quality, sound and build. It is hands down the best home theater subwoofer you can get without breaking the bank!